In 2014, I focused my blogging attentions to 16 posts on writing prompts for Ploughshares. Now that the series is done (though stay tuned–I have plans for them), here’s a little update on what I’ve got on deck for 2015.
- I’m slowly submitting Novel #1 to small presses.
- I’m almost done with a third draft of Novel #2, workshopping a chapter a month with my writing group. In early December 2015, I will have a public reading thanks to a grant from 4Culture. More on this novel soon.
- I’m in the planning stages of Novel #3 (!)
- My story “Raven in a Jar” will appear in the March/April issue of CICADA; in the fall, my story “I Loved You in New York” will be released as a chapbook in Alice Blue Books’ Shotgun Wedding series.
- My New Year’s resolution is to get more into food writing, since food is all over my fiction. So far I’ve brainstormed 16 articles to pitch. I want to pitch somewhere between two articles a day and two articles a week (this will depend on some other news hanging in the balance). I can’t control whether an article will be accepted, but I can certainly control how often I send out work. I believe this is called a “SMART goal“. Wish me luck! Here’s a helpful tumblr with examples of successful pitches.
- I’m teaching several classes at Hugo House, most immediately Intro to Fiction: Writing the Short Story and Hugo at the Henry: The Senses in Reading and Writing.
What are your plans for 2015?