“Sugar” in Gastronomica

15 Jan

GFC1304loI’m honored to have my short-short story “Sugar” included in the winter 2013 issue of Gastronomica, the “brainiest” of food magazines, also called “the New Yorker of food magazines”. The fairy tale-ish story is set in Pike Place Market and begins thus:

“He couldn’t stomach currants in his salad. She couldn’t stomach his not stomaching her currants.”

You can subscribe to the magazine here; if you have access to JSTOR, you can read individual articles here; you can also read my two-page story right over here:

“Sugar” in Gastronomica: Journal of Food and Culture, Vol. 13, No. 4, Winter 2013, Published by University of California Press.

6 Responses to ““Sugar” in Gastronomica”

1. Robin McLean January 15, 2014 at 10:30 am #

Hi Anca,

I saw your message on the Tin House email. I hate answering to all those people so am answering here.

Anyway, I loved the story. So good and FUN to read. Makes me want to go to Seattle and eat.

Good luck with more.

Robin McLean
    (I was in Karen Shepard’s class at TH)

• AS January 15, 2014 at 10:46 am #

Thank you so much, Robin! So glad you enjoyed the story and reached out over here.

Best wishes & keep in touch,
      Anca

2. szilagyiphd January 15, 2014 at 10:12 pm #

Good stuff, Anca. So exotic to taste lardons, noisettes and seagulls in almost the same bite 😉
    Keep baking those tasty bits, including full course meals…
    Andy

• AS January 15, 2014 at 10:16 pm #

Aw, thanks, Andy! You just gave me a strange idea for a full course meal centered on seagulls…
      🙂

3. Jennie Goode January 31, 2014 at 11:42 am #

Hi Anca, I saw your story mentioned in Erika Dreifus’s newsletter and followed the link over here to read it. So glad I did–beautiful story. I love all the smells and textures. Hope you are doing well!

Jennie Goode

• AS January 31, 2014 at 12:03 pm #

Hi Jennie, Thanks so much! So glad you enjoyed the story. Will you be at any events for AWP? Hope to catch up soon.
      Anca