Women in Translation Month

26 Jul

Women in Translation Month is around the corner! Last year, I compiled a list of translated books by women that I enjoyed and created a Women in Translation Bingo game. I also wrote about novellas by Marguerite Duras and Eileen Chang and poetry collections from Rocío Cerón and Angélica Freitas.

This summer has been a bit more hectic as I’ve been teaching more, taking my second novel through an eighth draft, and researching my third novel. However! I’m excited for Women In Translation Month and wanted to share with you four books on my to-read pile.

What have you been reading? WITMonth2016

7 Responses to “Women in Translation Month”

1. Claire 'Word by Word' July 26, 2016 at 10:43 pm #

I tend to read women in translation year round and though I have good intentions for August, like you, there’s often a lot else going on, so I hope this year I’ll direct more energy towards it.

Looking back on my reading this year, I’ve read fewer than last year, so it’s good this initiative is coming up:

Human Acts by Han Kang (South Korea) – devastatingly brilliant
    ARTE by Kei Ohkubo (a Japanese manga translated into (and read in) French
    The Man Who Snapped His Fingers by Fariba Hachtroudi (Iranian-French)

• Anca Szilagyi July 27, 2016 at 8:29 am #

Oh, I enjoyed The Man Who Snapped His Fingers! Let me know what you think.

• Anca Szilagyi July 27, 2016 at 8:32 am #

And yes, I read women in translation year round as well. I take the whole effort of WITMonth to heart. I get really frustrated with presses that focus on translation yet seem to publish 99% men. I can’t champion their work when they do that.

• Claire 'Word by Word' July 27, 2016 at 9:45 am #

I don’t know the presses sufficiently well to know who does that, but I have noticed that this trend can filter through to some blogs/reviews, I notice straight away when there is a lack of female writers represented. My reading has changed over the years as I’ve become much more aware of what I read and especially what is being put before us, the reason I look almost exclusively to bloggers for recommendations these days.

• Anca Szilagyi July 27, 2016 at 3:01 pm #

Yes, Meytal Radzinski has statistics on this at her blog: http://biblibio.blogspot.com/2016/07/women-in-translation-stats-clickbait.html

As a book reviewer I get excited when new publishers focus on translation…and I ask the venues I write for to send me works in translation. But when there’s a clear, ongoing disparity, I lose my enthusiasm. I rather celebrate literary presses like Europa that publishes 55% women.

• Claire 'Word by Word' July 27, 2016 at 11:39 pm #

Yes, I do know Europa and like some of what they publish too – I tend to find I’m often more attracted to the female writers stories.